Are you a bit confused about how to wash your outdoor cushion covers?
Cleaning your outdoor cushions is much more vital than maintaining your inside cushions because there is (often) a lot more possibility for dust, dampness, and regular filth outside than inside.
Hot summers and longer days mean you will obviously devote more time outside. This is typically true if your outdoor furniture is comfy. Your patio furniture is kept outdoors, which will ultimately get considerably dirtier than your inside furniture due to the continual exposure to the weather.
Washing outdoor cushions in a washing machine depending on the sort of stain you’re trying to clean and the fabric or texture of the cushion. It is vital to read the care instructions on the cushion label of your outdoor furniture since some fabrics include coatings that protect them from UV radiation and/or water.
If you are interested in learning the best way to wash outdoor cushions in a washing machine, continue reading!
- How to wash Outdoor Cushions in a washing machine- steps
- What Types of Outdoor Couch Fabrics Are Machine Washable?
- How Do You Wash Outdoor Cushions Without Removable Covers
- How To Find Out If Outdoor Cushion Covers Are Machine Washable?
- Mistakes to Avoid When washing/cleaning Outdoor Cushions
- Tips For Preserving Your Outdoor Cushions In Top Condition
How to wash Outdoor Cushions in a washing machine- steps
Outdoor cushions are probably a highlight if you’ve been looking for outdoor living room ideas.
During the outdoor party season, there’s a high possibility that your cushions may have a few spills and stains, but if you follow our tips on washing outdoor cushions, you’ll soon be able to relax in clean, fresh comfort once again.
1. Use Vacuum First
To remove the filth from the cushions properly, use a vacuum. Use the upholstery fabric accessory on your vacuum to remove the loose debris that is probably covering your cushion.
It should be done irrespective of whether or not your cushions have coverings. It will swiftly and completely remove dirt from the cushions.
If you don’t have a furniture attachment, you may vacuum the cover while it’s lying on the floor. If feasible, vacuum the inside of the covers as well.
2. Check The Cushion’s Care Tag
The manufacturer’s care label on the cushion can tell whether the cushions and even cushion coverings are machine washable. Each cushion and cover is unique, and some have protective coatings that safeguard the fabric.
If the covers, cushions, or whole pillows recommend hand-washing, go to the section on hand-washing cushions.
3. Use A Stain Remover
Apply a stain remover on major spots on the cushions as a pretreatment. If the cushions are very dirty, applying a stain remover before washing them can assist the washing machine in removing the stain.
Most home goods shops provide stain removers; you don’t need to rinse them since you’ll be washing the pillow right after the spots are fixed.
4. Put The Cushion Covers In The Washing Machine
Put your outdoor cushion covers in the washing machine. If the care label indicates machine washing, just wash the covers in the washing machine.
Be careful to adhere to instructions listed on the care label, such as the machine parameters or the necessary cycle. You can wash the covers: separately or with another load.
5. Add Detergent
Add detergent and choose the cold, mild detergent. Filling the cap to the lowest point should be sufficient for a modest load of a few covers unless they are huge, bulky, or dirty.
Cold water is generally always a good choice for fragile materials. Set the machine to gently to avoid damaging the fabric or fading the pattern.
6. Hang The Covers In The Open Area
Air-dry or dry the covers on the minimal heat setting.
The simplest option to protect cushion covers from excessive heat is to towel dry them first, then hang them up to dry. When this is not an option, use the dryer’s lowest setting.
What Types of Outdoor Couch Fabrics Are Machine Washable?
Fortunately, many indoor or outdoor materials are made to be long-lasting and simple to uphold.
Knowing the fabric, your outdoor covers are designed from and how to maintain it is essential, since certain fabrics are more resilient than others.
1- Polyester Outdoor Couch Cover
Polyester is a prevalent synthetic material that is simple to maintain. You can generally wash polyester (or PET) objects in a washing machine (not in the hottest setting, however: warm or even cold).
However, polyester outdoor coverings are often coated with a particular finish. It makes them more UV resistant and protects them from water.
Machine washing may destroy this coating, so if your covers have been coated, you’ll need to remove stains by hand.
2- Nylon Outdoor Couch Cover
This material is the most durable alternative for outdoor coverings. It is utilized to produce durable products such as rope and fishing nets! It implies that it is resistant to washing and can be easily washed. You are not even required to choose a chilly cycle.
Like vinyl, it cannot be dry cleaned; but, since it is so simple to machine wash, you must be able to remove the majority of stains and filth on your own.
3- Polypropylene Outdoor Furniture cover
Polypropylene is a preferred choice for outdoor furniture due to its cloth-like appearance and texture, which gives it a charming, domestic aspect.
It may also be affordable, but this implies that it is not the ideal fabric for outdoor usage and is not machine-washable.
If possible, always wash polypropylene covers by hand with warm water and mild laundry soap. One of the issues with this material is that it can gradually fade, so be very cautious while washing it.
4- Vinyl cushion Cover
This truly astonished us, but yes, you can wash vinyl covers in the washing machine. Vinyl is growing in popularity because it looks beautiful, is a terrific option for leather, and can withstand frequent usage.
How do you wash vinyl coverings in the washing machine?
- Flip the covers inside out
- Place them in a big net washing bag.
- Place them in the washing machine on a cold setting
- Select a gentle spin speed
- Allow them to dry naturally – do not use the dryer
Caution: if your vinyl cushion covers are unclean, resist the temptation to dry clean them. Perchloroethylene, the solvent used for dry cleaning, shrinks vinyl.
How Do You Wash Outdoor Cushions Without Removable Covers
One of the reasons to wash outdoor cushions that can’t be taken off is that they can collect dirt, dust, and other things. It can cause the cushion to get dirty or even tear over time.
Also, it’s even more important to keep the cushions clean if your pets or kids like to sit on the cushions of your outdoor furniture.
- Brush the surface of the cushion to remove any loose dirt or debris.
- Blend a mild laundry detergent in luke warm water and gently scrub the cushion’s surface with a soft-bristled brush. Make sure to pay extra attention to any stained spots with a lot of dirt on them.
- Rinse the cushion with clean water from a hose or a bucket to remove any soap residue.
- Let the cushion air dry in a place with good airflow. Don’t leave it in sunlight directly because it can fade away or damage the fabric.
- You can try a spot cleaner made for outdoor fabrics if there are any stains on the cushion that won’t come out with soap and water. Carefully follow the directions on the package.
- When the cushion is dry, you can put a fabric protector on it to help it resist water and stains and last longer.
Before you wash the cushion, always test a small, hidden area to ensure your chosen technique is safe and effective.
Related Post: How To Make New Couch Cushions Softer?
How To Find Out If Outdoor Cushion Covers Are Machine Washable?
First check, are the cushions removable? If not, you will need to wash the entire cushion. If they are detachable, check the label for simple washing directions.
Remove the tag? You may either look up the manufacturer guidelines online or, if you already know the fabric, wash it as you normally do (for instance, everyone knows that nylon can be machine washed, so it’s a good option.
Utilize one of the machine’s gentle and cold cycles when in doubt. If in doubt, wash the outdoor covers by hand with gently warm water and dish soap. Wash with the hose pipe to ensure that all detergent is removed.
Mistakes to Avoid When washing/cleaning Outdoor Cushions
We’ll offer some crucial tips below to assist you in avoiding any major mistakes while washing your outdoor cushions:
- Never forget to read the label! It’s important to follow any special cleaning directions listed on the label.
- Give the cleaning solvent enough time to do its job. Take it all in!
- Use caution when selecting your washing solution since certain detergents and soaps with bleach-based formulas can potentially destroy some textiles’ water-repellent coatings.
- To prevent mold or mildew growth, ensure the cushions are completely dry after washing.
- Although certain cushions may be machine cleaned, it’s usually best to avoid drying fabric in the dryer.
- Before keeping your cushions indoors for the winter, be sure to thoroughly clean!
Tips For Preserving Your Outdoor Cushions In Top Condition
- To get rid of the built-up dirt and dust from the garden furniture cushions, vacuum at least once or twice a week. Particularly where dirt might readily get caught at the edges.
- Before keeping the outdoor furniture within, thoroughly clean the cushions multiple times during the season.
- Search for specialized products that can give an additional protective coating to the fabric of your outdoor furniture to make it more stain-resistant.
- Keeping chairs and lounges outside out of the rain isn’t always possible. However, you must make sure that they are allowed to dry as quickly as you can because, otherwise, mold may begin to grow.
- Put them in direct sunshine, dry the coverings and filling separately, and do whatever you can to hasten the process.
- Keep stains from setting in! If they are not addressed quickly, there is a greater chance of long-term harm. You may always have a DIY spray consisting of vinegar, water, and soap handy for emergencies.
Many people wonder if washing outdoor furniture cushions is an efficient way to maintain outdoor cushions’ cleanliness while saving time. Yes, it is!
Keep in mind to remove the cushion coverings if you can so you may wash them as directed on the label. Most of the time, but not always, this indicates you can wash them. Purchasing premium, detachable outdoor cushion covers will make cleaning them much simpler.
You should be able to use your outdoor cushions for several years to come if you keep this cleaning guide handy.
Can you wash outdoor cushions in the washer?
Some outdoor cushions and patio pillows include easily detachable and washable coverings. Follow the manufacturer’s cleaning directions and allow the covers to air-dry before replacing them.
Can cushion fabric be washed?
Take off the cover and wash it in the washing machine if your whole foam cushion has to be cleaned and it is possible to do so.